Morning Star is a registered Charity and Institute of Public Character (IPC) which aims to strengthen family relationships in Singapore.
The organisation is currently looking for volunteers to help in these areas:
1. Volunteering @ CareNights
CareNights is the first and only programme in Singapore that provides transitional night care for children of families in need. It caters to parents who need to work overtime, perform shift work frequently, attend night classes or to attend to life crisis situations. Children aged 7-14 years are served, and run nightly Mondays to Fridays, from 6pm to 10pm.
Volunteers will be supported with comprehensive training on managing and communicating with children.
Volunteers are expected to:
• Assist to manage the behaviours of the children
• Assist the children with their academic work
• Facilitate/lead activities such as speech & drama, dance, art & craft, singing, preparing simple meals, educational or recreational games
• Promote CareNights to the community by going on home visits or participating in community events, such as job fairs or roadshows
• Assist with recruitment of volunteers for CareNights
• Assist in maintaining the safety and well beings of the children, security and cleanliness of the centres.
• At least 18 years old
• Open to working with children aged 7-14 for at least 6 months or at least 72 hours of service in a year
• Willing to learn new ways of engaging and communicating with children
2. Advocacy and Fundraising
Volunteers are needed to go on roadshows to help publicise the various programmes, conduct block visits and to aid in fundraising events/activities.
• At least 18 years old
• Willing to work on weeknights and weekends
A monthly briefing is conducted for volunteers to find out more about CareNights and other programmes/services within Morning Star that require help from volunteers. This 1.5 hour long sharing will give you greater clarity and help you decide if this is an area of work that you would like to venture into.
The briefing will be conducted on the following Thursdays, 7pm:
24 May: Bedok North Centre
21 June: Primavera Centre
26 July: Hougang Centre
30 August: Sengkang Centre
20 September: Bedok North Centre
25 October: Primavera Centre
Please call 62851377 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest.